With an aim to build a global movement against militarism, injustice and repression, the International Women’s Alliance (IWA) and International League of People’s Struggle (ILPS) are organizing an anti-war conference, Solidarity and Fightback: Building Resistance to US-led War, Militarism and Neofascism on August 5 – 7, 2017 at the University of Toronto, Canada.
On August 6, IWA will hold an event dedicated to women’s issues, struggles and resistance. Reflecting the event’s title and call, ¨Women Fight Repression, Neo-fascism, Militarization and Wars of Aggression, IWA aims to highlight the call for peace and commemorate the anniversary of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings; and to contribute to building and broadening the women’s movement for peace.
This day is divided into three parts: (1) panel of discussions in the morning (2) discussions a la talk show and (3) workshops in the afternoon.
- Keynote address, Dr. Azra Sayeed, Chairperson of IWA.
- Panelists include Ms. Melisa Dipdere of Ceni – Kurdistan, Ms. Joms Salvador, Secretary-general of GABRIELA – Philippines
- Speakers include Ms. Wendy Goldsmith of Boat for Gaza (Palestine), Ms. Monica Moorehead of Women Fight Back Network (USA) and Ms. Komal Patras of Centre for Human Rights and Education (Pakistan)
- Workshops (simultaneous)
- Violence Against Women, Crisis of Migration and Imperialism
- Art and Culture for Movement Building and Resistance
- Media and Imperialism
- Extractivism, Protection of the Earth & Indigenous Women’s Struggles
- Comfort Women and Ban the Bases
There will be cultural performances. The IWA Hymn will be sung in the opening and closing of the program.
The event will conclude with a unity statement signed by the participants, who will also collectively make a quilt for peace that will be weaved together during a conference for peace that IWA will be organizing in 2019 in Jeju Island, South Korea.
TO PARTICIPATE: Please register here.
NOTE: On the first day, August 5, Ms. Leila Khaled, Palestinian Freedom Fighter, will give a keynote speech. Also, one of the panels is about the impacts on Women and Children, Communities and Environment, Displacement and Refugee Crisis, Women and displacement in Latin America.
For more info, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.